MANHATTAN, Kan. (WIBW) -- Kansas State University marked the completion of a multi-million dollar expansion project Friday.
A ribbon cutting and dedication ceremony was held at Justin Hall, the home of the College of Human Ecology.
Virginia Moxley became the dean of the College of Ecology in 2006 and one of her first decisions was to enlarge Justin Hall to accommodate the growing teaching and research mission of the college.
In 1959, when Kansas State College became Kansas State University, the School of Home Economics moved into Justin Hall, a new 102,004 square foot, $2.15 million advanced building named for Dean Margaret Justin.
The school is now the College of Human Ecology. The Justin Hall expansion helps accommodate a student enrollment that has more than quadrupled since 1960, along with the college's nearly 100 faculty and staff members and its deepening research with funding at more than $20 million a year.
"We're really excited today to dedicate this $5 million facility, totally funded by private dollars that provides us with two wonderful high-tech classrooms, three conference rooms, student gathering space, a new administrative wing and best of all, a new student services center. This will serve our 2,500 students in the college as well as our faculty and staff," Virgina Moxley told WIBW.
Groundbreaking ceremonies for the expansion were Oct. 8, 2010. The building and landscaping were finished in August 2012, with students using the new classrooms and study areas for the first time on Aug. 20, the first day of the fall 2012 semester.
Following the ribbon-cutting ceremony, visitors were able to tour the building.