Dr. Dave's Relationship Red Flags
You better check the list to see if your relationship is in trouble.
When I was a radio boy we often did a segment where I gave relationship advice and I was known as Dr. Dave. I'm kind of good at diagnosing relationships so it was fun. So Dr. Dave is back...sort of.
We have a fun resource at our disposal on the morning show known as Radio Online. Check out the list of Relationship Red Flags and see if you need to be "on alert!"
RELATIONSHIP RED FLAGS
- Chronic lateness -- If your date arrives more than ten minutes late more than once, there's a pattern there. He's saying "I don't want to get into this."
- Rudeness to waiters -- Or taxi drivers, or anyone else in service jobs.
- Divorce horror stories -- Your date launches into the story of his messy divorce and how it was all his ex's fault. Anyone who's emotionally grounded knows it takes two to contribute to a breakup.
- Chronic flings -- Say you're on a date with a new guy. You mention that your last relationship lasted a year and he says, "That's impressive!" When a man over 30 tells you all his relationships have ended after a few months, that's a red flag.
- Demon children -- All kids have issues and some may not like Dad's new girlfriend. But if they're spoiled brats or excessively angry, head for the door.
- Money matters -- If a man suggests splitting the tab on a first date (no matter who asked who or what each of your financial status), that's a red flag.
- Parent issues -- You might want to think twice if a guy tells you none of his previous girlfriends was good enough for his mother.
- Bad sex -- It may get better after a first awkward time, but bad sex two or three times in a row will only get worse.
- Dirty underwear/socks -- Dirty under things is the hallmark of a secret slob and secret slobs have many worse habits you don't even want to think about.
- The anger hum -- As your new guys talks about past lovers, work, friends, family, etc., listen for a low hum of anger. Everyone has a bit of a temper, but recognize deep-seated anger and back off when you sniff it.