Getting to Wisconsin to see my family for Christmas can be tricky. We usually watch the weather and, if it looks like we'll get three clear days, load up the dogs and hit the road. That wasn't going to happen this year - between ice in Kansas and snow in Iowa and Wisconsin, I sure wasn't going to risk a 12-hour drive. My mom would call and tell me how bad the roads were and how it was the most December snow ever - then ask when we were coming home! Sigh! Finally, we decided to check flights so I could make a quick trip north. I even checked a forecast and saw only flurries forecast back home. "We can handle that," I thought, since my family would have to pick me up and drop me off at the Milwaukee airport, about 75 miles from where we live. I headed to the airport last Monday for a 4:45pm flight. When I checked in around 3pm, the attendants looked at each other and said, "You know, we have a lot of no-shows on that flight - what do you think?" Turns out, a 2:30pm flight was delayed until 3:15, so she punched a few buttons and got me out early - possibly the only person in the country who got out early last week! My youngest sister picked me up from the airport - she started driving up from St. Louis Sunday, only to be forced to pull off in all the blowing snow and finish her drive Monday. She asks if I realized they're forecasting snow storms for Tuesday and Wednesday - I was due to fly out Wednesday morning. "But I saw a forecast for flurries!" I protested. We tuned in the news that night and, sure enough, the forecast called for twin snow storms. We woke up Tuesday morning to flakes flying and adding to the drifts already towering above the landscape. Did I really live in this for 23 years?! The conditions kept up from making the hour-plus trip to see my other younger sister and her family, but we did make the five-mile trip to see my brother's family - and my new niece, Olivia! Then we kept an eye on the weather to time when I'd make a break for it. The snow was to stop around 3pm Tuesday and start up again around 4am Wednesday. My flight was at 7am, so I found a hotel room near the airport, and we drove down Tuesday night on a surprisingly clear highway - kudos to the Wisconsin highway crews! The morning snow was a little late - it started coming down around 6:30am - late enough for my flight to get safely off the ground. By the time I got home, my family told me it was blowing, white-out conditions and the flight schedule was once again a mess. Sounds like my husband actually got the worst of it - driving to pick me up before the ice and snow had a chance to melt off the Kansas roads Wednesday morning. I snapped a few pictures and took a video so you can experience this white Christmas!