Recipe: Charlene Patton's Pizza & Soft Pretzels
Featured on 13 News This Morning on 2/20/13
Basic Yeast Dough
Read More Blogs
5 1/2 to 6 cups soy flour blend
3 tablespoons sugar
2 (1/4 ounce) packages fast-rising dry yeast
2 teaspoons salt
2 cup warm water (120 to 130O F.)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Combine 2 cups soy flour blend, sugar, yeast and salt in large mixing bowl.
2. Add water and vegetable oil; mix to blend well.
3. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
4. Knead on lightly floured surface until dough is smooth and elastic, about 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Form a rounded smooth dough ball. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes.
6. Divide dough in half.
1. Use half of dough and divide into four additional sections.
2. Shape or roll each section with lightly floured rolling pin into a 7-inch circle for pizza crust.
3. Place shaped crust on lightly greased baking sheet.
4. Spread with tomato sauce and top with favorite fillings: ground beef, pepperoni, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, cheese.
5. Bake at 400OF. for 18 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Makes four pizzas
Use half of dough; let rest an additional 20 minutes.
Divide into 8 pieces. Roll each piece to 16-inch rope.
To make pretzels, curve ends of each rope to make circle; cross ends at top. Twist ends once and lay down over bottom of circle.
Place pretzels on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rest for 5 minutes.
Combine one egg and 1 tablespoon water for egg wash; brush pretzels with egg mixture and sprinkle with selected topping sesame seed, poppy seed or coarse salt.
Bake at 350°F. for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack. Makes 8 pretzels