by Amanda Lanum
On this eve of Thanksgiving, Chef Alli has one last tip for your holiday meal.
1. In a large skillet, heat 4 cups of chicken broth over medium heat just until it begins to simmer.
2. Drain off any excessive amounts of fat from the turkey drippings in your roasting pan; add prepared drippings to the chicken broth in the skillet.
3. In a separate large skillet over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter over medium heat; whisk in 4 Tbs. of all-purpose flour to make a paste – this is your roux.
4. Cook the roux for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown in color, whisking constantly.
5. Turn off the burner beneath the roux, then slowly pour the hot chicken broth into the roux, whisking as you add it.
6. Turn burner back on and return mixture to a simmer to thicken and reduce slightly.
7. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black before serving.
Makes 12-14 servings of gravy.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.