So You've Lost Your Child's Social Security Card?

By: From13 News/ Social Security
By: From13 News/ Social Security

We have all had that sinking feeling when we have an important item lost or stolen. What do you do if your minor child’s Social Security card is lost or stolen? Relax, after completing a brief application and with the proper documentation you can have a replacement card issued to you within 10 to 14 business days!

At you can print the necessary application form to complete and review the documents you will need to provide. All documents must be current (not expired) and original documents (no photocopies).

We must see a document proving your child’s identity. A birth certificate is not proof of your child’s identity. If your child has a state identification card, US driver’s license, or a US passport then you will be required to provide one of these.

If your child has none of these then you could use one of the following documents as long as it has your child’s name, identifying information (date of birth, age or parents names) and preferably a photograph; adoption decree, doctor, clinic or hospital record, religious record, school/daycare center record, or school ID card.

You, as the parent, must also prove your own identity. By providing an original document showing your name, identifying information and photograph you will prove your identity. One of following may be used; US driver’s license, State issued non-driver’s identification card, or US passport.

You must also show us a document proving your child’s age and U.S. citizenship, if they are not already in our records. Some documents that you could use to prove age are US birth certificate, religious record made before the age of 5 showing date of birth, US hospital birth record, or US passport. Some documents that you could use to prove citizenship are US birth certificate, US consular birth report, US passport, certificate of naturalization, or certificate of citizenship. Remember these are NOT required if you have already provided them to Social Security.

A person is now limited to three replacement cards in a year and 10 during your lifetime. Legal name changes and other exceptions do not count toward these limits. You may not be affected by these limits if you can prove you need the card to prevent a significant hardship. We recommend that you keep your child’s Social Security card in a safe place. Do not carry it with you.

631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email:
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118052164 -
Gray Television, Inc.