TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- A Topeka homeowner says his late-night cooking may have lead to a fire that did $100,000 damage to his home overnight into Thursday.
At about 2:19 a.m., the Topeka Fire Department responded to 3228
SW Westwood Ct. to battle the fire. First responding companies reported seeing heavy smoke and flames coming from the back of the single-family home.
The man who lives at the home had evacuated before crews arrived. They said he lives alone.
An investigator found that the fire did, in fact, start in the kitchen, on or near the stove top. The fire is being classified as accidental, associated with an unattended stove top.
Damage to the home is estimated at $60,000. Content damage is estimated at $40,000.
Three engine companies, two truck companies, two battalion chiefs, one safety officer, and one investigator responded to this fire. No injuries were reported.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.