TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW)-- Fire officials say improperly discarded smoking materials sparked a blaze at a Lawrence apartment complex late Wednesday night.
Flames tore through two buildings at the Berkeley Flats Apartments on Mississippi Street. Damage is estimated at more than $400,000
People from a dozen apartments were evacuated.
Fourteen K.U. students are among those displaced. The Red Cross and the University are teaming up to assist with textbooks, school supplies and computer replacement.
People who would like to help those affected should call 785-843-3550.
Designed by Gray Digital Media