Refrigerator Blamed For Fire That Destroyed Fireman's Home


TOPEKA, Kan (WIBW) Area firefighters are stepping up to help one of their own, whose home caught fire Wednesday morning.

Firefighters were called just after 9 am to 4128 Southeast 23rd Terrace. Shawnee Heights fire officials say an electrical problem with a refrigerator sparked a fire in the home.

No people were injured, but the family's dog was killed.

Crews had the fire out within an hour, but the house is likely a total loss. It belonged to Shawnee Heights and Topeka firefighter Kris Dodds, his wife Liz and their two daughters.

Shawnee Heights fire is taking donations of clothing and other items at its three stations, SE 29th and Shawnee Heights, SE 53rd and California and SE 89th and Paulen. Items requested are girls clothing sizes 14/16 and 10, blankets, pillows, towels and toiletries.

In addition, donations of money or gift cards may be sent to Topeka Firemen's Credit Union, which is at Topeka's Fire Station 9, 2447 SE 29th St., 66605.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 249837451 - wibw.com/a?a=249837451