FROM TOPEKA POLICE -- From January 1st through the 23rd, 84 residential burglaries took place in Topeka. Of those burglaries, 36 had the front door kicked open, 9 suspects entered through a window, 7 doors were unlocked, and on 13 no forced entry was used.
Many of these burglaries can be prevented by following a few simple rules:
* Watch out for your neighbors. If you see people walking around and knocking on random doors, going into yards or garages that don’t belong to them, or behaving in a suspicious manner, call the police.
* Lock all doors and windows, including the door that leads into your house from the garage.
* If you park outside, remove the garage door opener from your vehicle.
* Do not leave valuables in plain sight in front of a window.
* Break down boxes from large purchases and don’t put them out until the day of trash pick-up in your neighborhood. You don’t want to advertise the new merchandise in your home!
* Don’t open doors to strangers.