Getting Married this Month? Don't Forget this Social Security Advice!

By: From 13 News
By: From 13 News

Wedding season is here. If you’re planning a wedding, or know someone who is, make sure you put Social Security on the to–do list.

If you exchange your maiden name for a married name — including hyphenated names such as Smith–Jones — be sure you let Social Security know.

Skipping this important step could:
* Delay your tax refund; and
* Prevent your wages from being posted correctly to your Social Security record, which may lower the amount of your future Social Security benefits.
* There’s no need to pay a third party to mail in the information for you. Changing your name with Social Security is a quick, easy, and free service. You’ll want to read the Application for a Social Security Card to learn what important documents you may need to take to the Social Security office.

First, you’ll need to show us a recently issued marriage document as proof of your legal name change. You will have to provide Social Security with additional documentation if the one you provide does not give us enough information to identify you in our records, or if you legally changed your name more than two years ago.

Second, you also must provide an identity document that shows your former name. This can be a U.S. driver’s license, U.S. state–issued, non–driver identity card, or U.S. passport. (We can accept an expired document as evidence of your old name.)

Finally, if you are a U.S. citizen born outside the United States, and our records do not show it, you will need to provide proof of your U.S. citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your current immigration documents.

Keep in mind we need to see original documents. We can only accept a copy of an original document when it has been certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

Your new Social Security card will be mailed to you, and will have the same number as your previous card (but it will show your new name.)

So remember: if you are getting married and changing your name, let us know.

For more information, visit Social Security Number & Card, or call us at 1–800–772–1213 (TTY 1–800–325–0778).

631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email:
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 96436959 -
Gray Television, Inc.