Here are some tips from Esurance.com:
* Keep a winter car kit in your trunk (containing a sand bag, a shovel, large flashlight, chains, blanket, waterproof matches, protein bars, coffee can)
*Add Emergency Road Service or Towing coverage to your insurance plan.
* Winterize your car. Change to snow tires and winter weight oil, check your brakes, battery and ignition systems, and add an engine block heater.
* Rent a car equipped with the latest safety features for longer trips if your beater doesn't have anti-lock breaks.
* Slow down. And leave plenty of distance between your car and others.
* Check your local weather forecast before heading out. And get a cheap motel room if things turn unexpectedly bad.
* Don't leave the driveway (ever) without a spare tire, first aid kit, jumper cables and flares. (These items are always useful!).
* Stay alert and sober. You don't really need that 2nd hot toddy.