Here are some tips from Esurance.com:
* Keep a winter car kit in your trunk (containing a sand bag, a shovel, large flashlight, chains, blanket, waterproof matches, protein bars, coffee can)
*Add Emergency Road Service or Towing coverage to your insurance plan.
* Winterize your car. Change to snow tires and winter weight oil, check your brakes, battery and ignition systems, and add an engine block heater.
* Rent a car equipped with the latest safety features for longer trips if your beater doesn't have anti-lock breaks.
* Slow down. And leave plenty of distance between your car and others.
* Check your local weather forecast before heading out. And get a cheap motel room if things turn unexpectedly bad.
* Don't leave the driveway (ever) without a spare tire, first aid kit, jumper cables and flares. (These items are always useful!).
* Stay alert and sober. You don't really need that 2nd hot toddy.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.