The Topeka Fire Department wishes to remind all Topeka citizens that as we prepare to enjoy this 4th of July and fireworks season, to please do so safely. The following Safety Tips are being offered to ensure a safe celebration:
* Always read and follow the directions on the fireworks labels.
* Do not attempt to re-light a “dud” firework… allow 10-15 minutes to pass and then soak it in a bucket of water.
* Keep water close by, either from a bucket or garden hose.
* Purchase fireworks from reliable sellers… never experiment with homemade devices.
* Dispose of fireworks properly i.e., soaking them in water and then disposing of them in a trashcan.
* Never throw or point fireworks at other people.
* Never carry fireworks in you pocket.
* Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.
* Only ignite fireworks outdoors, never indoors.
* Store unused fireworks in a cool, dry place; up at least six inches off a floor and protected from potential spillage from other contaminants.
* Light one firework at a time, and then move away to a safe distance.
* When lighting fireworks in-group settings always appoint a designated lighter.
* Whenever possible use a pump or long handled lighter to ignite fireworks.
* Never stand over a firework when igniting it.
* Follow the laws and use common sense.