TOPEKA - The Topeka Police Department recommends these tips for preventing car break-ins and thefts.
* Never leave your motor running when unattended. This is one of the easiest ways to lose your vehicle, i.e. warm-up thefts on cold mornings, a quick trip into the store, etc.
* Don't loan your car to a stranger or casual acquaintance. Good intentions can result in the theft of your vehicle.
* If you have a garage, use it, and remove the key! If you don't have a garage, park in a driveway instead of the street if possible.
* Steering wheel or steering-column collar locks make visible deterrents, as well as mechanical challenges.
* Never leave a spare key in the vehicle and don’t leave the title in the car.
* Keep valuables out of sight, i.e. cellular phones, pagers, backpacks, purses, CDs, valuable clothing, etc. Valuables in plain view are an open invitation for thieves.