TOPEKA - The Topeka Police Department recommends these tips for preventing car break-ins and thefts.
* Never leave your motor running when unattended. This is one of the easiest ways to lose your vehicle, i.e. warm-up thefts on cold mornings, a quick trip into the store, etc.
* Don't loan your car to a stranger or casual acquaintance. Good intentions can result in the theft of your vehicle.
* If you have a garage, use it, and remove the key! If you don't have a garage, park in a driveway instead of the street if possible.
* Steering wheel or steering-column collar locks make visible deterrents, as well as mechanical challenges.
* Never leave a spare key in the vehicle and don’t leave the title in the car.
* Keep valuables out of sight, i.e. cellular phones, pagers, backpacks, purses, CDs, valuable clothing, etc. Valuables in plain view are an open invitation for thieves.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.