Here's what to look for when using or buying space heaters for your home:
* When selecting a heater, look for one that has been tested and certified by a nationally recognized testing lab.
* Select a space heater with a guard around the flame area or heating element. This keeps children, pets and clothing away from the heat source.
* Buy a heater that is the correct size for the area you want to heat. The wrong size could produce more pollutants.
* Read and follow all manufacturer's operating instructions for your heater.
* Keep kids and pets away from space heaters at all times.
* Keep doors open to the rest of the house if you're using an un-vented fuel burning space heater.
* Never leave a space heater on when you go to sleep or leave the area.
* Never use or store flammable liquids like gasoline around a space heater. Vapors can flow from one part of the room to another and be ignited by an open flame
or electrical spark.
* Place all space heaters at least three feet away from bedding, furniture and drapes.