IRS Wants to Pay Its Debts

The Internal Revenue Service owes Kansans hundreds of thousands of dollars in unpaid tax returns. And now, the taxman is coming... to pay them back.

The average undelivered refund owed to Kansans is $719 and the IRS just needs the claimants new addresses for them to claim their chacks.

"We want to get this money back to the people it belongs to," said Michael Devine, IRS spokesperson for Kansas. "It's really a simple process. As soon as we get the correct address, we can reissue the check."

Over a hundred unclaimed checks are written for northeast Kansans and, in some counties, such as Geary, the average refund is almost a thousand dollars.

Devine attributed most undelivered checks to major life changes, e.g. marriage or divorce, that cause an address change. If an taxpayer moves or changes his/ her address without notifying the IRS, the U.S. Postal Service would return the check, which had been sent to the previous address.

The IRS directs taxpayers who believe they are still owed a check to their Web site and click onto "Where's My Refund."

Users are then prompted to enter their 2007 tax return information, where theuy will learn of the status of their tax refund. In many cases, according to the IRS, the site will then direct taxpayers on how to resolve the issue.

The IRS can also be reached via telephone via their toll-free assistance line 1-800-829-1040.

Taxpayers can notify the IRS of an address change by filing a Form 8822, Change of Address, which can be accessed theough its Web siteor by calling 1-800-829-3676.

Devine added that the surest way to avoid undeliverable checks is have their refunds directly deposited into theie personal checking or savings account, which can be done for both paper and electronic returns.

631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email:
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 11277146 -
Gray Television, Inc.