TOPEKA LIBRARY -- Get your hands up, and fill ‘em with a book! We’re rounding up a gang of readers for our Fall Reading program, Sept. 17–Nov. 20. This year’s theme is “Wanted Reader,” and we want kids reading for pleasure and having fun at library programs.
Kids can read 10 hours (or have someone read to them) and earn a prize. Baby buckaroos through 12th grade wranglers can join our gang. Mosey over to tscpl.org/fallreading to register and track reading milestones.
Through mystery-themed events, the Fall Reading program connects youth to The Big Read, a national initiative to promote reading nationwide. This October, our community joins together to read The Maltese Falcon for The Big Read.
• Sept. 17 | 6–7pm | Richard Holmgren’s Flying Debris | Witness amazing juggling feats
• Sept. 24, Oct. 22, Nov. 19 | 4:15–5:45pm | Mystery Flicks | Watch a mystery movie
• Oct. 1-Oct. 31 | Find the Falcon Mystery Challenge | Hunt for clues throughout the library; start at the Youth Services desk
• Oct. 6, 17 | 4:30–5:30pm | It’s a Mystery | Listen to a mystery and make a craft
• Oct. 8 | 4:30–6pm | The Malted Falcon Mystery Party | Kids grades 1-5 crack a sweet little mystery
• Oct. 13 | 4–5pm | Western Sing-along
• Oct. 15 | 4-5pm | Solve Your Family History Mystery | Kids grades 3-5 learn about family trees
• Oct. 18 | 6-7pm | Crazy Extreme Crime Science | Kids 9-11 years use science to solve a mystery
• Nov. 20 | 2-3pm | Fall Reading Finale: Who’s In Rabbit’s House | StoneLion Puppet Mystery Show
The Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library is 21st-century, four-star rated landmark library, and features the Alice C. Sabatini Art Gallery, the Millennium Café, a gift shop, meeting rooms, and free computer and Internet access and training.
Library hours are weekdays, 9am to 9pm, Saturdays from 9am to 6pm and Sunday from noon to 9:00pm.